"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Beautiful Mind

This movie never ceases to amaze me. Such an incredible story. Maybe I'm not supposed to love Jennifer Connelly's character as much as I do but her overall spirit and commitment to stand by her husband is something that I admire.
That acceptance speech at the end of the movie gets me everytime.

"Thank you. I've always believed in numbers and the equations and logics that lead to reason.
But after a lifetime of such pursuits, I ask,
"What truly is logic?"
"Who decides reason?"
My quest has taken me through the physical, the metaphysical, the delusional -- and back.
And I have made the most important discovery of my career, the most important discovery of my life: It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reasons can be found.
I'm only here tonight because of you.
You are the reason I am.
You are all my reasons.
Thank you."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Academia loves reason but I don't know if they love anybody.