"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Working on a house tour: Living Room

So I have yet to do any sort of updates in the form of a house tour mainly because I can't manage to keep the house clean enough to take pics:)

Needless to say I am really trying to get some pics taken so that I can share what we've been doing and more importantly what we dream of doing in each room.

I managed to get a few photos taken of the living room the other day that I wanted to share.  Not much has changed in here but we have some ideas that I'm super excited about.

One of my favourite views in the house is looking out from our office to the living room.  You can get a glimpse of the kitchen and the openness to upstairs.  I spent so much time standing in this spot dreaming about how to decorate these spaces while we were building and I still like to stand here and look at what we've done and what we could do.  The most obvious thing that needs to be done to me is the trim around all the railings.  Trim just finishes everything off so well so I'm excited to get painting so that so Nels can put it up.  


I am still very much in love with the armoire we got off of kijiji (love that it hides our TV) and recently we put that old phone on display which I'm loving.  I'm possible going to spray paint that lamp gold so if I do I'll post a pic.



I've never loved these boxy things.  When we originally moved in, the empty space by the fireplace just bugged me so much that I put them up.  Well, they've never come down but thanks to some leftover paint from our front door and some scrap-book paper I was able to make them a little more "me".  Still not in love but a bit better.  


Here's a look from the front door into the living room.  Our curtains are from Ikea and I talked about them here.  Mainly chosen because you cannot beat the price but at the end of the day I do really like the print.  I would love to add a bright patterned area rug like the one in this pic one day but I cannot believe the price of large area rugs.  I can't help but notice that our couch looks purple in this pic... IT'S NOT!!  I swear its just a nice grey colour:)


 Here's the look from the kitchen to the living room. That door you see is the master bedroom and to the left of it is the front door (not pictured).

We would LOVE to do built ins something like this on that large wall with the four white frames and little black shelves



The built ins would likely stretch from our bedroom door to the office doors (far right).  We're thinking of doing an Ikea hack with Billy Bookcases but we'll see.  Might not happen this winter (because we have a fairly major project that needs to get done)... but maybe next winter:  

If for some reason we don't think built ins will work we will probably do wainscoting along the bottom of that big wall and extend it to the front entrance to look something like this

We would also ADORE a sectional for this space something like this.  Right now I'm totally fine with our couch.  I actually kind of love it.  We had it custom made from a place in Calgary right after we got married so its a bit longer than the average couch (so Nels can lay down on it).  Our two faux leather chairs were also a steal.  We bought them for 60.00 each at Home Depot a few years ago.  Our blue coffee table is something I found in Dad's shed and painted Benjamin Moore Blue Nose awhile back.  This winter my goal is to antique it to look something like this and seal it really well because that's one step I've skipped in way too many of my painting projects:(  I'm a rookie at painting furniture.  

So as of October 2013 this is our living room.  We have some major trim painting/putting up planned for this week so I'm excited.  


No comments: