Thanks so much to Mom and Seonhee for taking Molly so I could finally do a bit of cleaning upstairs. Seeing as how in my mind it is now officially Spring (we've gone long enough without snow I figure that makes it official) I figured I'd do an upstairs tour on what we accomplished in the 2011/2012 winter.
(I might warn you that we didn't spend a whole lot of energy decorating/finishing the upstairs because about 90% of our time is spent on the main level of our house right now)
Starting off in the guest bedroom:
We did not get the trim done up here and I'm not even thinking we're going to tackle that in the Spring/Summer. Trim seems like more of a winter thing to me and since we have SO MUCH trim and Nels did an awesome job at getting it almost all finished on the main level I think I might back off on that one for awhile.
We did a curtain switcheroo and these blue curtains that were in Molly's room to begin with got moved here. They're pretty heavy curtains so they block out a decent amount of light for those early mornings. We moved them from Molly's room because we found they didn't block quite enough light for her so we needed some roller blinds along with curtains. Now Molly has the roller blinds and some white curtains instead of the blue.
I have found one of the best things about finishing the house slowly is that I can take my time developing each room into what I want. I picked up this bedspread before Christmas (on a major sale at Winners) and I really wanted to use it for the colour scheme in the guest room. I haven't really done anything with it since then but the blue curtains are a start and we added a few white frames with scrapbooking paper in them (cheapest art EVER) and it all fits in fairly well. Eventually I'd like to do something with lace like maybe some hanging lanterns that have been floating around pinterest for awhile now
This is by far one of my most favourite pieces of furniture in the house. Its an old dresser from my mom that I had painted red back in college and then a few summers ago I sanded it off for a bit more of a distressed look. I have it in the guest room right now but it might get a change to the playroom in the future.
I am in the process of spray painting a mirror for the guest room so maybe I'll give an update in a few days with the actual finished room but thats it for now.
The upstairs bathroom got a colour change this winter. The colour is "Rust" by Benjamin Moore (old colour was Benjamin Moore Huntington beige). I really like it but the bathroom still needs a lot of work
Here are the tiles we want for the top of the counter (the same ones we'll be putting in for the kitchen backsplashl). I want to use a dark brown grout for them which along with trim and baseboards will finish the bathroom off really well.
Here you can see the trimless, curtainless window.... needs some TLC obviously but I have plans for it along with the open closet that is to the right of the window (the closet is currently just a doorless, empty space as are most of our closets upstairs).
Moving on to Molly's room:
I think this is the only room in the house that is actually looking WORSE than when we first decorated it. Why the single bed you might ask??? Well we're currently storing that bed and since Molly's crib is in our room until some of her night wakings come to an end we thought we'd store the single bed in her room. My thinking is that when we move her crib upstairs I might sleep in the single bed if nights are still really bad and I'm hoping by the end of the summer that single bed will be in the basement and our little girl will be having some great sleeps on her own:) Yup, thats right, our once AMAZING little sleeper has turned over a new leaf and cannot sleep for more than 4 hours for the life of her...
I would LOVE to re-finish that rocking chair as well. That too is a temporary piece of furniture because the rocking chair that we LOVE and use all the time is in our room as well.
Here is a very unflattering picture of one of the windows in Molly's room. no trim and the curtains are in need of a good hemming but those blinds are AWESOME at making this room super dark
We did recently get the closet doors put up in Molly's room thanks to Kurt and Steve and Nels but here's a look at the inside of her close. It is pretty much my full time job keeping track of her clothes and constantly sorting and storing clothes that are too big or small... I'm not a fan of that process
one of her floating shelves... can't wait to work on this room and actually have her sleep in it and maybe do something fun with paint for the walls
Ok, last but not least the bonus room:
Here are the curtains I made out of that shower curtain. They serve a great purpose in covering up the holes to our "tunnel" and hiding whatever mess might be in there
Here's a shot of the 2 of them and the window seat. I need to work in this room to make that window seat more fun. Not sure what I'll do yet but probably some sort of stencil on the walls and some cushions for the seat
right now we've got some basil growing up on the window and we're pretty proud of our first attempt at herbs. This area gets lots of sun so things grow really well up here
Here's the other side of the room. I want to paint that black toy box a fun bright colour and move one of the couches downstairs to make room for some more toys and storage.
I think stripes are in the near future for this space after I saw the picture below on pinterest. I think this would be a really simple way to make this space more interesting along with some kid friendly art.
So thats the upstairs for you. Like I said, we haven't done a whole lot of work up there this year due to our focus on the main floor but I think there's lots of potential and I look forward to tracking our progress up there.