"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Just for a second...

...i'm going to forget for 1 blog that we just celebrated Christmas and New Years and hold off on posting about my most favorite time of the year to instead post about our latest painting endeavors.

The great news is that thanks to Dad and Frank Gibson, our entire entryway and livingroom is painted (including the DIFFICULT to reach bay window) and I'm really happy with the colour... so what did it end up as?!?!?
ROCKPORT GRAY:
looking from the livingroom into the kitchen and up into the bonus room area.
Keep in mind that these pics were taken with my parents 10 year old crappy camera so not the greatest quality. The best wall to judge the colour here is on the big one to the left.

I initially planned to go with a darker gray (copley gray) but i thought it might be too dark. After deciding on Rockport I am happy with the way it turned out BUT I totally think the darker gray would have worked really well for the space. So many people warn you about going too dark but it soooo would have worked and it might have even warmed the place up a bit. Needless to say, I'm happy with the colour. The next challenge will be to warm the living room up because although i love the gray colour, sometimes it can seem a bit cold/indistrial-like.

After today, our kitchen is also completely done... and I am 110% happy with it. We like to call it "our custom kitchen" I had picked out the Hawthorne yellow colour from the very beginning and I was sure it was going to be perfect. I had visited my trusted young house love blog and they had called it the "be all end all of yellow paints" well.... as much as everyone was trying to convince me that it would tone down when the cabinets went in, I just couldn't quite wrap my head around how yellow it looked. So in a pinch, we decided to add some white primer to the paint to lighten it up for the second coat (i'm sure this is a big painting no-no) and now after the second coat is done, it is AWESOME. It's a slightly lighter (not so orangey) yellow that I seriously love.
All the pics I have are actually with the original Hawthorne so you can get the "before" idea and I"ll get an after one later. On camera, the difference might not be that great but Nels and I couldn't believe how much more we loved the kitchen now that it is a tad lighter. This first one is the wall where our cabinets and some appliances will go, hence all the holes and wires:)

Cabinets come on Tuesday (wahoo!!!) and we ordered all or our appliances from Trail Appliances yesturday (AWESOME boxing week sale i might add) so things are looking up and I'm excited!!
Biggest pleasant suprise:
Huntington Beige for all of our bedrooms, bathrooms and now probably even our utility room is my favorite colour yet!! I should have known I'm a beige girl at heart. I've always loved browns and I think this golden brown will tie in with the yellow of the kitchen really well. Here is our Master bedroom and bathroom which are COMPLETELY FINISHED NOW!!! (except of course for the tile around the tub to come later)




Tomorrow we have another full day before I head back to work Monday :( I can honestly say that painting is pretty darn fun because I love seeing the results so fast.

No comments: