"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Friday, November 5, 2010

I have a confession to make

For the last 3 or 4 months I have fallen asleep with paint swatches on my bedside table and when Nels isn't home they are often right in the bed with me. I have grown to be a little obsessed with colour and everything related to the layout and interior design of our house. Partly this is because paint is the one thing that I don't feel guilty about spending money on at this point. I've also had lot's of fun trying to figure out how to best set our house up using the furniture that we already have (which is not much).

The only thing we're allowing ourselves to buy new right now is our dining room table (check!) and i even faithfully saved up for that before we bought it (pretty proud of myself). Of course there's a list a mile long of things I would love to get (armoire for the spare bedroom, oh yah, and a spare bed!) but I think for now I'll just focus on my colour obsession
As of November 5th at 9:15 here are my colour choices

#1 Hawthorne Yellow: Kitchen. I have searched high and low for a yellow that is not too bright and not to mustardy and I'm pretty sure this is it. It's from Benjamin Moore and several blogs I've been reading have recommended it as the perfect yellow. We don't have a tonne of wall space in our kitchen anyway but I'm pretty stoked about my yellow.

#2Copley gray: livingroom and entry way . I've loved gray for awhile now and i especially love gray and yellow combinations. At first I was a bit concerned about such a dark colour but because of the open plan of the house I think it will work. The next obstacle is dealing with the vaulted ceiling and where to stop with which colour. Hmmmmm...#3. Rockport gray: upstairs hallway and bonus room. Our bonus room looks down into the living room so I decided to choose one shade lighter of the gray for a few reasons. First of all I wanted the colours to be similar so the space wouldn't seem to broken up and second I didn't want the upstairs to be too dark so I figured one shade lighter would be a good choice for the space. I read a post from the blog Young House Love about creating flow with colour and I think the dark and light gray will flow well.





#4 Masada: Bathrooms. My latest development has been choosing a orangy red colour for the main floor and upstairs bathroom. I like the idea of a bold colour for a bathroom because I figure it's a safe room to take risks with because who really cares if it doesn't look awesome. Everyday I fall a little more in love with this colour though so I'm pretty stoked about it.


#5 and finally... Mortar:on one of my more lengthy visits to Benjamin Moore I picked up this colour that I love for our master bedroom and bathroom. It's fairly dark but I think the space will be able to handle it. We have a tonne of windows in our bedroom that will need covering (Terralee came over the other day and pointed out that people will be able to watch us have sex and of course we don't want that to happen!) so I'm thinking of doing white window coverings to lighten up the room.
*can i just say that the colours as they appear on the computer screen are quite different from the swatches I have in my hand. Computers ruin great colour:(

No comments: