"...In the dance of sun and water and sky. In the faces of the people who need us most and of the people we most need. In the smell of breakfast cooking on a charcoal fire. Who knows where we will find Him or whether we will recognize Him if we do? Who knows anything even approaching the truth of who He really was? But my prayer is that we will all of us find Him somewhere, somehow, and that He will give us something of his life to fill our emptiness, something of his light to drive back our dark"
-The Great Dance -Frederick Buechner

Monday, February 24, 2014

Weighing in on "Trim Healthy Mama"

Ok so this post is only my first impression of the book… just got it like an hour ago and instead of doing a workout today I'm sitting on the couch reading it… have I already done something wrong!?!?

First off THANK-YOU to Margi over at her blog for doing a giveaway.  Margi, you look awesome and you seem to be energized even with 4 kids so I was intrigued when you started talking about this.

A huge thanks to the two authors of Trim Healthy Mama as well for sending me this book.  I saw how much you paid for postage which makes me even more grateful... I'm really excited to read it:)  Not only that but it arrived on a day that is fricken freezing outside and I was up all last night with a sick baby so needless to say this really made my day.

Here's a bit about my food background:

I don't have a whole tonne of weight to lose.  My weight story isn't one of those drastic extreme makeover weight loss things.  Basically I would like to feel good in my pre-pregnancy clothes and most of all I would like to be energized and add some variety to my meals.  I LOVE food and I enjoy cooking when I have the energy.  I make time for cooking over most things (like cleaning house or working out).  Heck, I'm a foods teacher, so I'm used to being around lots of food and experimenting.  Now that I don't get paid to cook all day and I don't have the energy to work out as much my enthusiasm for cooking/food has changed.

I have also found with kids I've become a bit of an emotional eater.  If something is going terrible or I'm just so exhausted I go to the fridge and eat whatever is quick and easy (hello chocolate!)  Most of the time I'm not even hungry which is weird.    I want to stop emotional eating because its not good for me.

It is really important for me is to SUPPORT LOCAL INDUSTRY.  I'm a farm girl and very proud of it.  Therefore when someone tells me to not use a little canola oil in my baking I'm all like "what will my Dad think??"  Canola has helped put me through University and helped me live where I am.  Heck, I live right in the middle of a canola field.  So basically I am excited to try coconut oil and other things but I will always support our farmers and, for the majority of time buy canola oil.  This same thing goes for Dairy.  There will be very little almond milk in my recipes.  I feel that it is my ethical responsibility to support our local industry so bring on the milk and the canola oil (well in reasonable amounts)

As I've flipped through the Trim Healthy Mama book I am super stoked to try some of the recipes.  I've highlighted some that I know will work for me and there are others that I'm willing to try even though I'm skeptical.  I think the cauliflower crust pizza sounds awesome and I'm excited to try using cauliflower instead of higher carb foods like potatoes or bread.  I'm also excited to educate myself a bit on Energizing meals vs Satisfying Meals.  I haven't really given much thought towards energizing vs. satisfying but I'm excited to do some learning.    I'm slightly nervous about any sweeteners other than plain ol' sugar so I'm not sure how I'm going to navigate around the amount of stevia mentioned in the recipes.

I have the utmost respect for these two Moms who have obviously spent lots of time researching and thinking/praying about this book.  Whenever Moms go out there and do anything outside of the box I always admire them.  I, however also believe it is important to never look at something as "The Only Way".  I'm going to give this book a good read and definitely incorporate some of the ideas into my life… I"m excited!!!          


No comments: